Celia & Andrew’s day catalogued : 24032012D
Our last of three consecutive weddings finished with Celia and Andrew’s special day. It was the shortest coverage of the three weddings and after the previous two weeks of constant editing during the week to keep up with the work, we were glad to arrive at Celia and Andrew’s house at Grange without a backlog of images to process!
With today’s post , I thought I’d give a little insight regarding how Marianne and I manage the files we take during each wedding. Photographing a wedding with one photographer makes it relatively easy to sort images. Once the wedding is done and the files are catalogued, one could process them and name them in sequential order. During our first few weddings, we found the post production organisation of files difficult as we were swapping cameras at times and often using similar focal lengths with different lenses (eg 70mm with a 24-70 lens on a crop sensor vs 100mm with 70-200 lens on a full frame sensor). Unless we immediately tagged our files when we came home, we’d often forget who took which image. Moreover, sorting the image according to time didn’t always work because the cameras’ time was sometimes disynchronised. Our wedding packages usually give the clients an opportunity to name ‘x’ number of images from a series of proofs. From these, they select the high-resolution files to enable larger printing. Finding the file names initially required a very labour intensive correlation of spreadsheet, file name viewing and lightroom selections simultaneously. We also used to process the proofs differently to the final images which meant another round of post processing once the clients had chosen their high-resolution images.
Here’s some of our approaches to resolve this issue:
1. On the night before the wedding, we synchronise the times of our cameras to the second (interestingly we found that the 5dmk2’s clock ran slightly faster than the 7D hence we have to do this before every wedding!)
2. We try to stick to the same camera for the whole day. If we end up swapping cameras, we end up swapping CF cards as well to make the import and tagging process easier.
3. When cataloguing in lightroom, I tag my images with ‘Dee’ and Marianne’s with her name so that we can filter the catalogue for own images.
4. For each wedding, we set up a few different presets for white balance, exposure and vignetting for each scene to keep some consistency between our images.
5. When exporting the files, we name them according to the wedding , hour, minute, second with D or M. For instance for this wedding, a shot taken by me at 10:34 am and 20 seconds would read ‘CAwedding103420D’.
6. We now have a set of actions to enable 1 touch processing (which is then refined) adjusting colours, brightness, skin tone adjustment with imagenomic software, web resizing and proof resizing.
7. Once the proofs are done we found a command which generates a text list of all the filenames in a folder. This is then exported to an excel spreadsheet from which the clients choose their high-resolution files.
8. The editing is all done for each file , so once the final files are chosen, there are no re-edits to do!
And with that, here are some images from their wedding !
If anyone has further suggestions, we’d be more than happy to hear about them
Until the next wedding which is at the Adelaide Oval on April 20!
Posted on April 9, 2012, in Photography, Weddings and tagged adelaide, autumn, botanic gardens, Botanic restaurant, Church, Everlook, Grange, Murdoch Avenue, Palm house, Rings, St Agnes, wedding. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.